Battling Lascuna not giving up in Manila

Fri 21 Nov 2014

Battling Lascuna not giving up in Manila

  • SHARE
Manila, November 21: Six shots back going into the weekend rounds, local hope Antonio Lascuna is psyching himself up for a title charge at the US$1 million Resorts World Manila Masters presented by 918.com.
The veteran star, who is seventh on the Asian Tour’s Order of Merit, battled to a one-under-par 71 for a two-day score of five-under-par 139 to lie six shots behind co-leaders Mardan Mamat of Singapore and Korean teenager Wang Jeung-hun at the Manila Southwoods Golf and Country Club.
Countryman Juvic Pagunsan, the Asian Tour number one in 2011, was a further stroke back after a topsy-turvy 73 which included three double bogeys, one bogey and six birdies.
An opening bogey wasn’t what the doctor had order for Lascuna, who is searching for a maiden Asian Tour victory, but he fought hard under tough windy conditions.
“I had a bad start with a three putt. It was also windy in the afternoon and after four holes, I was still one over and I was focused on shooting even par for the day. I managed to get birdie on the last hole for one under, I’m happy,” said the 43-year-old.
He believes he can go low on Saturday to narrow the gap on the leaders at a course which he has won several local tournaments previously.
“I saw the leaderboard and saw that Mardan was 11-under. Two days more, maybe a seven under tomorrow. I’m feeling good enough. My putting was always almost, almost in the hole. I’ll aim for seven under tomorrow,” he said.
“I always practice on this course whenever I’m not on Tour, so I know the course well. I’ll try to charge tomorrow, try to attack the pins. Also need to have good touch with my putting. It was always very close today.”
Sponsors of the Resorts World Manila Masters include Manila Southwoods Golf and Country Club, Bally Technologies, Aristocrat, International Gaming Technology, Renoir Implementation Services, Marriott, Philippine Airlines, Maybank, PLDT and Avis.